Monday, February 18, 2013

Coffee Cup DIY

Have you seen this idea on Pinterest for drawing on coffee mugs? I have. AND I LOVE IT!

At this year's Galentine's Day (which you can read more about over at Visibly Moved ), me and the Gals decided to try it and make gifts for the husbands.

They each turned out great and Hans loved his. But after the first time that we hand washed the cup, the mustache that I drew was partially rubbed off.

So today I decided to take another go at it. Here is what I used:

I bought my coffee cup from the dollar store. Who doesn't have a Sharpie lying around? And I used a bread loaf pan for baking the cup in.


I touched up the areas on the mug that were rubbed off from washing. Set it in the pan and baked it at 450 for 30 minutes. Well...closer to 45 minutes because Tenley fell asleep on my chest and I didn't have the heart to move. 


Here's how the cup came out. I didn't re-do the entire mustache and I think that's why it came out really uneven. 


So I retraced and colored in the entire mustache. Put it back in the oven at 450 for 20 minutes.


Here's how he turned out. LOVE HIM!

I gave it time to cool down, cleaned it, and the marker hasn't rubbed off. So I'm putting this one down as a win. 







No comments:

Post a Comment